Crispy Chickpea Croutons
Make these crispy plant based croutons to add additional protein to your salads or eat as a tasty low-fat snack.
Cook or Chill Time
Easy Plant-Based Crouton
Author: True Forage
Recipe Type: Snacks, Condiment
- 2 - 15oz cans of Chickpeas rinsed and drain
- 1.5 Tbsp lemon juice (divided)
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 tsp sea salt (divided)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the 1 Tbsp of the lemon juice, EVOO, black pepper, smoked paprika, ½ tsp salt and cayenne.
- Add the chickpeas to the mixture and stir till well combined.
- Spread chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for 35 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool down for 15 minutes. Keep oven on at 400 degrees F
- Once cool add the rest of the lemon juice and salt to the chickpeas and mix well.
- Place chickpeas back in the oven for 10 more minutes to crisp.
- Take out of the oven and let cool completely.
Double baking the chickpeas is the secret to crispy croutons.